Presenter: Ralph Carson, LD, RD, PhD
Format: 1 hour video lecture
The use of humor and laughter in psychotherapy has great potential in a treatment setting, especially for eating disorders. Laughter provides levity in broaching sensitive topics, stimulating insights, diffusing anger, and relating to patients in a more intimate way. The intention of this course is to communicate the value of bringing humor into the therapy session, to provide an assortment of skills and tools to implement humor; and to promote humor as a technique for achieving recovery in the eating disorder population.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- List five benefits of bringing laughter into the therapy session
- Design a “humor tool kit” to generate humor as an alternative to dysfunctional eating behaviors.
- Discuss the genetics and neuroscientific foundations of laughter
- Work with patients on how to develop a sense of humor
- Identify the various questionnaire designed to appraise a patient’s humor aptitude.
- Explain the therapeutic benefit of laughter in individuals, groups, and activity sessions.
- Illustrate how laughter therapy for depression restructures neurological pathways
About Ralph Carson, LD, RD, PhD
Dr. Carson has been involved in the clinical treatment of obesity, addictions, and eating disorders for over 40 years. His unique background in health science and medicine, coupled with nutrition and exercise has prepared him to integrate neuropsychobiological intervention and proven psychotherapeutic treatment. He is an active board member of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP). He has authored several popular books on nutrition, lifestyle practices, good health and the brain: Harnessing the Healing Power of Fruits and the recently published The Brain Fix: What’s the Matter with Your Gray Matter? He is currently Vice President of Science and Innovation for the Eating Recovery Center’s CORE Program for weight management and binge-eating disorders in Denver, CO and consultant for the Pinegrove Behavioral Health and Addiction Center in Hattiesburg, MS.
Stay in the know.
Sign-up now for updates, news and exclusive offers! Let’s redefine mental wellness together.
By submitting your information, you agree to receive future email communications from us. We promise to keep your information private, and you can easily unsubscribe at any time.