What is Psychiatry Redefined?
Psychiatry is a field in need of a paradigm shift. While scientific research has brought our understanding as to the complex interplay of biologic, genetic, and environmental factors that together create the dynamic continuum of human thought and behavior to an unprecedented level, psychiatry’s application of this knowledge lags far behind that of other medical disciplines, and the treatment of mental illness remains a substantial challenge.
Over the last few decades, the number of patients with psychiatric disorders and neurologic disease has skyrocketed, causing a surge of medical burden that psychiatry as a field seems increasingly ill-equipped to address. The broadening gap between incidence and rates of treatment success mirrors that which separates scientific discovery and clinical practice. Mental illnesses are being treated according to etiologic and therapeutic models that have changed little over the last half-century. Patients with unique symptomatic presentations are being tucked into diagnostic categories derived from consensus and statistical average, and offered treatment geared primarily towards symptom management that does not account for biologic individuality. Over-reliance upon pharmaceutical interventions is rampant, driven by a multitude of factors including convenience and assumption – assumption that an intervention effective for one patient will most likely be effective for another.
Epidemiologic data demonstrates in no uncertain terms that this model is not adequate. While medical disciplines proactively pursue methodologic refinement through ongoing scientific discovery, psychiatry seems held to a standstill by outdated approaches and incomplete therapeutic models.
Psychiatry Redefined Is:
- An educational platform for practitioners who seek to move beyond symptom management or suppression and instead offer patients real recovery.
- A beacon of hope for individuals struggling with mental illness who are tired of ineffective treatments and ‘one size fits all’ interventions who seek personalized care.
- A bridge between discovery and application that infuses integrated therapeutic models with the very latest in scientific research.
- A vision brought to life for mental health professionals, patients, family members, and caregivers that focuses not only on neurologic health but also physical and emotional wellness. A functional roadmap integrating mind and body together in order to achieve balance and lasting health.
- A new model to move the field of psychiatry along a path illuminated by science.
Psychiatry Redefined Helps Clinicians:
- Improve patient outcomes
- Incorporate objective biologic testing into clinical assessment and diagnostic protocols in order to create scientifically informed treatment plans customized to the individual patient
- Master balance in integrative functional medicine practice: treating the person, not test results, and addressing root etiologic causes, not symptoms
- Safely and effectively implement integrated orthomolecular treatment protocols in clinical practice to maximize the therapeutic trajectories of the patients they serve
- Feel confident and empowered to participate in the evolution of modern psychiatry.
Psychiatry Redefined Helps Patients:
- Learn about the biological, genetic, and environmental factors that are associated with psychiatric disorders, and the ways in which these factors influence brain and behavior
- Develop the tools necessary to ask the right questions about mental illness
- Engage healthcare providers in a search for factors that may be contributing to mental health states
- Find motivation and strength for recovery as they address, in collaboration with healthcare providers, the root causes of mental illness
- Cultivate hope – hope for relief, remission, and lasting recovery from mental illness